One of the varieties of degenerative-dystrophic diseases of the intervertebral discs is cervical osteochondrosis, which can be treated at home. The main goal is to complement and improve the work of classical methods of treatment (drugs, physiotherapy).
Description of the pathology
The symptoms of osteochondrosis of the cervical spine will affect several organs and systems at once due to peculiarities of blood supply and innervation:
- Altered motor activity in the upper extremities.
- Severe pain syndrome (especially in the acute phase).
- Violation of the visual and auditory system. Tinnitus can occur. A pathological change in the blood circulation (vertebral artery syndrome) leads to the appearance of "flies" before the eyes, loss of visual fields.
- Sensory impairment (numbness of the limbs).
- Headaches (due to hypoxia).
Several stages of the development of the disease can be distinguished:
- Acute (first 2-3 weeks). Pronounced clinical picture, but minor changes in the osteochondral apparatus.
- Subacute (3 to 6 weeks). In the clinic, pain remains the main symptom and signs of bone destruction appear on images.
- Chronic (more than 6 weeks). The clinic manifests itself rarely and syndromes of mild expression (painful pain, restriction of movement). The images show pronounced changes in the articular surfaces. Intervertebral hernias often occur (bone structures become brittle).
Treatment of cervical osteochondrosis is allowed at home, along with other methods of therapy (pills, physiotherapy). As a rule, the effectiveness of alternative treatment is much less, but numerous repetitions of such courses of treatment are allowed (after 3-4 courses, patients begin to feel relief).
It is possible to treat cervical osteochondrosis at home, but only if the following conditions are met:
- Compensation or subcompensation stage (without clinical or minor manifestations).
- Consult with a doctor (rheumatologist, therapist).
- No allergic reactions to the components of the treatment.
Benefits of home treatment:
- Availability at any time.
Disadvantages of therapy:
- Incorrect selection of funds and, as a consequence, lack of effect, possible deterioration of the state.
- Incorrect exercise.
- Possible exacerbation of concomitant diseases caused by incorrect self-medication tactics.
Complex exercise therapy
When exercising with cervical osteochondrosis, severe pain should not be allowed. Take the course exclusively according to the individual capabilities of the body, from any position (standing, sitting, lying).
The set of exercises is selected by a specialist.
- flexion / extension of the head;
- circular movements of the head;
- leans forward / backward, right / left.
Exercise therapy, physiotherapy and massage of the cervical neck area are carried out at the complex over the course of several weeks.
One of the options for reflexology using a special plate. It is based on the mechanical action on the innervation zones.
This device can be purchased in specialized pharmacies and used independently as a massager.
Rubbing of pharmaceuticals
Right now there are a lot of pharmacy infusions and lotions, which eliminates the need for self-preparation.
These grains include the following elements:
- Essential oils (sage, peppermint, lemon balm, aloe, tea tree).
- Analgesics to relieve pain.
- Irritants (pepper, mustard).
- Antiseptic (alcohol, menthol).
Apply each one according to the attached instructions.
Folk remedies and recipes
Recipes for folk remedies in the treatment of cervical osteochondrosis have long been known for their effectiveness and simplicity. How and how to treat cervical osteochondrosis at home - these are the most famous and effective methods of traditional medicine used in patients with pathology of the musculoskeletal system, in particular, osteochondrosis of the cervical spine.
Herbs in the treatment of osteochondrosis at home are the most popular among the population. Medicines are available at any pharmacy in the city.
The application does not carry any significant consequences and repeated treatments are possible with a slight interruption. Age restrictions are also conditional (admission is allowed for children in the absence of contraindications).
You should know that it is not recommended to use hot all infusions, lotions, compresses. The reason is that heating the affected area can cause the appearance of a diffuse purulent infection (phlegmon, abscess), especially if there were microdamages in this area. Hot substances have a negative effect on people with hypertension associated with osteochondrosis.
In this treatment option the root of this plant is used (you can prepare it yourself or buy it in pharmacies).
Root or 2 teaspoons of dry matter, pour 1 cup of boiling water. Insist for 24 hours, then moisten the gauze and apply to the neck area. The course of treatment is 7 days.
The needles have pronounced tanning properties. There are several ways to apply it:
- In fortifying baths. Pour 1 liter of boiling water over several pine legs and let it rest for 2 hours. Then pour the resulting solution into a bath at a temperature of 38 ° C. The duration of the bath is 30 minutes. 7 day course.
- In infusions. Pour 2 teaspoons of dry matter with a 70% alcohol solution and leave for 3 days. Rub the affected area 2 times a day. The completion period is 14 days.
- Boil the pine legs for 5 minutes. Strain the resulting broth and rub for 20 minutes.
Has mild anti-inflammatory properties. Improves metabolic processes in tissues. Use cases:
- Take 2-3 teaspoons of dry matter and pour boiling water (300 ml). Insist an hour and rub into the cervical area until a slight redness appears. 7 day course.
- Pour 3 teaspoons of dandelion flowers and medicinal chamomile (1: 1) with a 70% alcohol solution. Insist for 24 hours, then apply 2 times a day.
Pine bud infusion
Preparation method: pour 2-3 tablespoons of kidneys with boiling water, and after complete cooling, use it on the affected area. 8 day course.
Compresses and applications
Treatment of cervical osteochondrosis by folk methods includes multiple compresses and lotions, but you need to remember some basic rules when using:
- Frequent repetitions of the treatment course (usually 2-3). The reason is that the effectiveness of therapy is extremely low in a course.
- The effect of the treatment is more pronounced if you wrap a scarf / towel around the damaged area. The reason is the additional heat effect in addition to the action of drugs.
Kerosene 50 ml, mix with 2-3 teaspoons of sunflower oil and 1-2 teaspoons of baking soda. Rub the resulting mixture on the neck area for 20 minutes. The course of therapy is 15 days.
The mixture is irritating and should be used with caution.
Compresses, herbal teas and lotions and potatoes are the most common treatment. There are several reasons for this:
- lack of strict contraindications (except for allergy to starch).
- Grate the potatoes and strain them. Form a cake with the resulting dry mixture and apply to the affected area for 20 minutes. The course of therapy is 2 weeks.
- Boil potatoes (3-4) with skin. Then crush and wrap in cheesecloth. Apply hot potatoes to the neck area for 20 minutes (avoid the formation of burns). The course of therapy is 7 days.
Radish is an irritant, therefore the exposure time should be shortened according to individual tolerance.
Radish usage examples:
- Grate the radish on a fine grater and strain through a sieve. Apply the resulting dry mixture to the cervical spine for 10 to 20 minutes. The course of therapy is 2 weeks.
- Grate the radish and strain. Mix the resulting juice with honey in a 1: 3 ratio. Pour the alcohol solution and leave it in a dark room for 3 days. Then moisten an infused gauze and apply for 10-20 minutes to the affected area. The course of therapy is 7 days.
Sour cream and comfrey
Comfrey has a strong astringent and anti-inflammatory effect. The root of the plant is rubbed on a fine grater and mixed with sour cream to a mush (usually in a 1: 1 ratio). In the cervical area for 2 minutes and a course of 7 days.
Recipes with honey
Honey has an almost huge list of useful properties:
The only contraindication is allergic reactions or individual intolerance.
Most popular honey recipes:
- Pure honey. Rub honey (50–100 g) on the affected area for 20 minutes. The course of therapy is 15 days.
- Mix 50g of honey and 2 teaspoons of mustard and rub the creamy mixture on the neck for 20-30 minutes. The course of therapy is 2 weeks.
- Mix honey (20–40 mg), aloe juice (5 ml), and tea tree oil (2–4 drops). Stir well and apply for 20 minutes. The course of therapy is 9 days.
Treatment of cervical osteochondrosis is possible at home by rubbing the affected area with infusions and decoctions.
This method relies on two mechanisms:
- mechanical pressure;
- medicinal effects of herbs.
Mother and stepmother
Both the flowers and the stems of the plants can be used in the preparation of the infusion. When cooking, pour 70% alcohol and leave for 4 weeks in a dark room. Then strain the solution through cheesecloth and store it in a glass container out of the reach of children.
Application method: rub with gentle massage movements on the affected area 2 times a day for 10-15 minutes. The course of therapy is 2 weeks.
Horseradish and elderberry
Horseradish and elderberries can be used separately or in combination. The combined treatment is presented below.
Preparation method: separately, pour boiling water (1 cup) horseradish leaves and elderberries (with leaves). Insist during the day. Then strain both solutions and mix in a 1: 1 ratio. Rub the cervical spine and surrounding area once a day for 10 minutes. The course of therapy is 7 days.
Medications in ointment form provide rapid pain relief in cervical osteochondrosis.
Efficacy is reduced if this form of treatment is used exclusively.
Egg with butter
Mix egg whites (2-3) with butter in a 1: 2 ratio until you get a creamy porridge. Apply to the joint area once a day for 30 minutes and wrap with a terry cloth.
It has a pronounced anti-inflammatory effect. There are several ways to use ginger:
- Pour 2-3 plant roots with olive oil and allow to stand for 24 hours. Lubricate the neck with the resulting mixture once a day at night. The course of therapy is 2 weeks.
- Crush the ginger root, add nutmeg and linseed oil. Cover the resulting porridge mixture with a towel and leave it in a dark room for 8 hours. Rub into the joint for 20 minutes for 7 days.
Egg and mustard
Egg whites are rich in protein and mustard has a pronounced irritant effect (improves local microcirculation); these are the main reasons to use these components in the treatment of osteochondrosis.
Preparation method: Mix the protein from 2 eggs and 1-1. 5 tbsp. l. tablespoons mustard until creamy. Apply to the affected area for 10-15 minutes. 7 day course.
Mustard can cause severe local tissue irritation. With severe pain, the procedure is not recommended.
Heating with ozokerite
Ozokerite is a natural wax. Often this procedure is carried out in sanatoriums in conjunction with heat treatment with paraffin.
How to apply: the wax is heated in a special container until it becomes liquid. It is then carefully poured into a container with sides (a baking sheet can be used) and is expected to cool to a temperature of 50 C. The resulting mass is then separated from the container and applied to the affected area for local heatingof tissues.
Carefully control the temperature of the wax and avoid burns.
Prevention of exacerbations
Recommendations on how to treat cervical osteochondrosis are generally known, as they are applicable to all rheumatological diseases.
For effective prevention of the development of the disease, it is recommended to follow some simple but useful tips:
- physical activity (moderate);
- healthy eating (moderate salt intake);
- the right footwear (appropriate size, 4 to 6 cm heel, cushioned insoles).
Compliance with these rules is a guarantee of the health of the column!